Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nesting

What an odd word, and what an odder sensation it is to actually be experiencing it. I know, I’m on my third pregnancy, but I didn’t come anywhere near “nesting” with the other two. I never thought I would either. Well, come it has. I also thought that if I ever did nest it would be the last couple weeks of my pregnancy. No, this isn’t the case either. I’ve been nesting for months. Dan doesn’t know what to do with me. It’s so odd and different from usual (which is a sad commentary on my regular housekeeping skills) he just shakes his head and tries to stay out of my way. You see, I get rather testy about it too. If anyone (in other words, Dan) says anything or doesn’t clean up after themselves they had better watch out! On our last little trip I couldn’t handle the car ride. Not because I was 6 ½ months pregnant, but because our car was a disaster. Every time we would stop I would have to clean out the car. When we dropped our kids off at Dan’s parents house Dan wanted to take off right, but I wouldn’t let him until I’d cleaned out the car. Any time we pulled into a hotel, Dan would get the luggage, I would clean out the car. I wonder how long this is going to last. Does it end when I have the baby because I’ll be too tired to carry on and have three little ones about? Now granted…if you were to stop by right now I’m sure you wouldn’t think I was nesting (little people follow after me and undo everything I’ve done), but nesting I am, and an odder sensation I haven’t experienced. I even want to pack. Granted, we aren’t moving anywhere until May of ’09, and even that isn’t set in stone (far from it actually….Dan needs to find a job first). But I still want to throw everything away and put what’s left in boxes. Is this normal? My organizational skills were never very good, but I have a hankering to organize everything and it drives me batty that I don’t know the best way to do it; especially the kids’ room with all their toys. My next organizational project is probably going to be our hall closet…this has been a disaster since we moved it, but I’m really getting excited about throwing everything out. Wahoo!

In other news, we actually went on a date last night. I know, amazing. Our good friends the Morley's watched our kids for us (thanks so much!!!) so we could get out and about.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

First off, congrats on going on a date! Woohoo! Not like I know what those are anymore...
Second, sorry I can't help you with the whole nesting thing. Never been through it. I was kind of hoping it would come with my pregnancies, because then the house might actually get clean, but nope. With Braden it was just the opposite. I was so tired all the time, that I had to force myself to clean...and six months after his birth, I'm still kinda in that boat. Sigh.
But you can always come clean my house for me if you want. :)

Kirsten said...

Totally normal - at least for me. I'm feeling the same way and it started early for me too. I too am so excited to be like "what can I get rid of?". We had lots of toys too. We got shelves for the closet and plastic bins to put toys in. So now his toys are in plastic bins (and boxes) on the shelves. It's helped keep things more organized. And I have to laugh - I just recently cleaned out the cars.

Andrea said...

I'm so happy for your trips to the library. :)

I guess I never nested. Hm, too bad for my house.

Very glad you were able to find someone so you could go out. Hope you had a great time!

michelle said...

Yipee!!! You are on the official home stretch. I am glad that my house is clean too. Gotta be grateful it is because we are moving. I am happy for you, but I am sure glad it's not me going through nesting!!!

Chelle said...

Freak dude... that whole nesting thing is something I could really use. My house is always a wreck! Of course... not being pregnant... or married... or even dating anyone... I don't think that is something I can rely on. :)

Lindsay said...

That's such a fun phase! I always have to take advantage of it though...cause I know that once it's gone, I'll just start hording everything again! :)

Loni said...

I'm glad you explained. I didn't know what you meant by nesting, but now I do. I'm so happy for you. Not that it is driving everyone bonkers, but that you are testing your organizational skills. I love to throw things out, especially if they belong to other people. Wahoo.

You'll have to blog again telling us what you did for your date.

NicKim Family said...

Tarah, You always have the cutest blogging posts! Seriously, you always make me laugh! If you want help organizing - closets are my favorite!! Especially when they're not mine!

Liz B said...

Oh, I'm glad for your trips to the library too. Your posts are hilarious. I can totally picture Dan thinking how crazy you were cleaning out the car. But that stage does come in handy (although you still make sure to have people help you lift stuff).

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean but I am always nesting even if I'm not pregnant. I am just a neat freak. Congrats on almost being done. I am a little over half way. By the way, we are having a boy. we are really excited.

Erinn said...

Hey Tara!
I hope you don't mind me snoopen' out your blog! I have been on this searching out old friends kick! I have been a bit of a blog learker, but I just HAD to comment on this one! I too went through some SERIOUS nesting with my second. My hubby came home one day and I had done EVER closet in the house. I only wish I had a nesting period more often! :)

Becky said...

I didn't even know you were updating your blog again. In fact, I didn't even know you were prego again. Sorry I'm a slacker friend. Anyway, Congratulations on being so cute (still!). I love your guts. Call me. We'll talk, then laugh, then talk, then laugh, then laugh, then talk, then talk.
Love,
Becky VanSleeuwen
1000adventures.blogspot.com

Jake said...

congrats on your third pregnancy...go Tarah!!!!