Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Light Snob

It is a well known fact that I'm an opinionated person. While the kids and I were out the other night I came to the realization that I'm highly opinionated on the subject of Christmas Lights. I took the kids out to see a drive-thru nativity that one of the churches puts on. It was really cute, and afterwards I thought it would be fun to drive around and see some lights. Caden especially really enjoys christmas lights. It was rather hard to find houses with lights up though. I realize this is because I live in a college town filled with apartments, but heavens, it was harder than it should have been. But when we finally did find an occasional house or two with lights I decided that colored christmas lights are the way to go. Don't get me wrong, white lights are very elegant and classy, but just not very festive. They go a lot better for weddings, or something like that. Christmas needs color...but not just any color....it needs lots of color. I remember Becky, my old roommate, mentioning once how she thought a strand of blue lights was just wrong. I never thought much of it until now. She's right. Same with just a strand of green. Nope, you need lots of colors. It doesn't matter if they are big or small, or if they blink or stay solid. It's a lot more fun to go look at the lights if there are colors to see. This is my snobby opinion.

For the first time since we've lived here we put up a Christmas tree. Dan came down for a weekend and I made him buy a fake tree. He's rather anti fake tree (truthfully I am too, but I was desperate), but agreed that it was best for us right now. The kids got a kick out of decorating it, and every night they love to sit and look at it. Okay, they like to play with it, but I get really upset if they touch, so they just get really close and say that they are just looking.
For FHE tonight we delivered christmas treats to the neighbors (well, some of them, I about froze so I gave up and went home). The kids had fun and enjoyed getting all bundled up. Poor Cole can't even move in his bundle, but hopefully he stayed warm enough.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Both you and Andrea are very opinionated on Christmas lights. I think it's hilarious! Me personally, I prefer just white lights. Or red and white. Not too fond of multi-colored, although it does look good too. :) You're good to let your kids near your tree. I have a gate up to keep my kids out of the room the tree is in. (Of course, that's because Braden tries to eat all the ornaments.)
Your kids look so cute all bundled up! That makes me wonder if I even have winter garb for my kids for Christmas. Hmm...I may have to hit Kid to Kid...

Andrea said...

I laughed at your title, and wondered if you are snobby like me when it comes to Christmas lights. You're not though. I haven't put much thought into the color, I just HATE it when people decorate their outside trees poorly. I mean, seriously, if you're going to do it, do it well! Too often it looks like people just toss a strand of lights onto the tree, letting it fall wherever. Have some pride people!!!

Sorry about that. I really need to get over it.

Very cute pictures. I'm excited to see you soon.

Liz B said...

That's funny. I much prefer white lights... We only have white lights on the tree, on our garland, and on the house... It makes it a lot more simple to decorate. I add color with the other decorations.

michelle said...

We delivered goodie plates too. Started out walking and Christmas caroling. Kids complaining about walking and cold. Sent Collin back for the van. We rang doorbells, caroled, and then ran for the van.:)

Unknown said...

Andrea, you would totally hate the tree in my front yard.

Chelle said...

I have to agree with you. I'm all for colored lights. Only, I really don't like it when they blink either. Makes me feel like I'm in some sort of bad star trek movie or something. :)

Lacey said...

I am so offended. (Ya right... coming from one opinionated person to another :)) I have white lights and I think they are fun... but your right, I had to throw in some other colors to add some spice. I love the burrito baby, he is adorable!
Merry Christmas!

Becky said...

Your family: cute
You opinions: appreciated
White lights: good.
Colored lights: good.
Twinkling lights: good.
Flashing lights: BAD, HORRIBLE, WORST EVER, HORENDEOUS, AWEFUL!!

Tu Cute said...

too funny! I agree- have some color, but also- have some class. There is a house we pass by every time I leave my house that has like 10 of those huge blow up things in their yard and decorations all over (looks like they couldn't fit another thing in if they tried!) Looks like some kind of christmas explosion, everything you could possibly have- they have in their small yard! That is tacky!!

The Bott Family said...

First off I have to laugh because I just read the whole light thing on Kim's blog. She is into white and Lucy likes the colored ones. I agree with you on the colored festive ones but I have to go with white because for instance I have blue decorations so I had to go with the white ones to show off the decor. Second, it makes sense now how well Caden did with our tree. He would look at it from a distance. You could tell he wanted to touch the ornaments but he was strong and resisted.

And thank you for the yummy treats! We hope you have a wonderful time in Utah and a great Christmas.

Melissa and Mike said...

So fun to read about your family, your kids are darling!! Your Cole and my Maisy were born just 3 days apart, how fun is that! I had read your blog a while back, but it was when you decided to no longer have the internet or something...anyway, glad to see you're blogging a lot again. Hope your Christmas was wonderful. Blogging is such a fun way to catch up and see how old friends are doing...take care!
Melissa (from Snow...) =0)