Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One more time

Well, Dan is gone for a month again. It shouldn't be too bad, though, because he is close enough he can come home on weekends, and I made him promise that he would. I might have sounded a little desperate because before he left he kept asking me if I was going to be alright. Of course I'm going to be alright...I just like it better when he's here, that's why I married him. Anyway, this time around I'm hoping that the kids and I will do some fun kid activities. I haven't figured out what yet, but I'm sure I'll blog about it if I do anything. Actually, my main concern is feeding my children dinner. I realize this sounds awful. Trust me, I do. The only reason I cook at all is for Dan, and since he's not here, I have a hard time motivating myself to make a dinner that no one but me will eat anyway. Kember is getting better at eating dinner, I will give her that. However, Caden doesn't touch anything. It's a wee bit frustrating. I'm sure if I were creative I could think of something dinnerish that he would find fun to eat...but it's just too tempting to say, "Hey, he'll eat PB & honey" Oh, don't worry, I do add veggies. He ate his peas tonight...nothing else, but at least he is getting the green stuff.
I mentioned in my last post that Caden gave goodnight kisses that encompass the forehead, both cheeks, my nose and chin. Apparently he has decided to also add both ears and the neck. I love it...and then Kember runs up and gives me such a big hug I fall over. It's awesome.
On a random note: I listened to most of Pres. Obama's inagural speech today. I would have liked to have heard the whole thing, but I didn't know it was on. This is the first time I've ever heard him speak. Yes, I know that is pathetic. Yes, I know I should be more aware and more informed. I will say this though, I was impressed by what I heard. I hope he can do what he said in the speech, and I wish him the best of luck.
It also got me thinking about who ever wrote the speech. I suppose because that was my major, but boy, you got to give the person kudo's. It's one thing to write a speech for yourself, but it's entirely different to write a speech for someone else...especially a speech this important. The President did a great job at delivery too. Sigh...I miss my major.

12 comments:

GAYLE said...

Boy, I know what you mean about cooking! I just hate to do the everyday cooking. I like entertaining, but it's hard to think of 20 minute cooking for a 5 minute dinner. Now I have so much homework I can hardly get the 20 minutes in! I loved President Obama's speech too. It gave me some hope that maybe we can get this country back on track (and Mark will get a job, and I won't have to get a job, and we'll get our retirement money back, and we'll get health insurance, and we'll get smaller classrooms for our kids........) He's a sharp guy and I think very sincere. I'm not sure about the speech writer. I'd like to think they are all of his thoughts and ideas and someone helped him format it. Ya think?

Chelle said...

I hear ya, man. I never cook. Like ever. Part of that, though, is probably the fact that I CAN'T cook. :)

Heather said...

Sorry to hear Dan in gone for another month...but school is almost done...actually it's 16 weeks till gratuation :)
I like to cook, but I love to cook for Shawn. I wish it were easier to love to cook for our kids, but when they are happy for a PB and honey, why put all the work into something that they won't love as much as the easy option. Maybe you and the kids should come over for dinner:)

michelle said...

Good luck. You are an amazing woman to be on your own with 3 little ones for 4 weeks!!!

Anonymous said...

Dinner solution Idea! Try little pigs in a blanket- little smokies/crescent rolls from the fridge section. I made them for my kids and they gobbled them right up and they are extremely PICKY! They are not terribly healthy I know-- but at least they ate them. I thought they were pretty tasty myself.

Unknown said...

Hugs to you! You will survive this next month. You totally rocked the first departure. :)
I feel your pain on the dinner thing. Me not liking to cook so much anyway, and a kid whose favorite phrase is "I don't like ____(insert whatever type of food we're having here)" He is getting better though.

Anonymous said...

I am the same way about dinner. Cory works d nights a week and so I only make simple meals. One reason, sometimes he helps me make dinner. It's great to do something together even if its makeing dinner.

Ma & Pa J. said...

You could try adding fruit to the PB and honey sandwich (my kids liked bananas on it) But anything would be good. I am thinking of you constantly but I know all will be well. Scott said that he would be glad to employ your speech writing services. He needs 3 speeches for Stake Conference in Feb.

Loni said...

I didn't do a whole lot of that cooking stuff when your dad was out of town. It was always hard for me to think dinner when he came home, therefore I didn't develop any cooking traits. You must have inherited that. I'm sorry.

As for the speech I happened to read most of it and I also was impressed.

Andrea said...

Hey, look at you--you just got a job. Hm, so funny about writing for Stake Conference. Too bad it's probably not a paying gig. :)

Anonymous said...

We do admit, your blog is a favorite among the ones we love to read because we love the way you write. Your funny, and who know it was all because you were a communications major. This also must mean that you and Dan have flawless communication right?

I'm surprised Caden doesn't eat. Because when he was little it seemed like he had such a big appetite and was content if he was eating something...? Does my memory evade me?

Is there a sauce that your kids like? Jacob will eat almost anything if its dipped in bbq sauce.

Anonymous said...

We should have you and munchkins over. I LOVE company. Not kidding, either. And then you don't have to be creative, Kember and Ash can have a playdate and Alex loves hanging out with little kids. He's great with them. Annie will probably play with the girls or ga-ga over Baby Cole and tell you how she wants to have 1000 kids. It'd be cool! Oh, and I'm a decent cook ;-)