Friday, August 7, 2009

Not one of my finer mommy moments

We don't have TV. There are a lot of reasons for this, a few being that there's not a lot on that's worth watching, what we do deem worth watching we would waste whole heaps of time on watching it there by ignoring those things (aka our kids and each other) which actually are worth watching. So, when we do visit home we all like to watch a little TV (or a lot of TV depending on some points of view). Anyway, today we were in my parents living room and Dan was channel surfing. He found Monk on. We love Monk. Good show...right? Well, maybe not so much. When he turned to it some lady was drowning another lady in a bathtub. Really, we didn't think much of it (I was on the computer not really paying any attention....again, probably a large reason we don't have the internet at home) then Kember asks me why that lady was killing the other lady. Okay, hold on...how does she know about "killing"? Dan very quickly changed the station. I tried to explain without explaining too much, but I probably glossed over it and missed a great teaching moment. Anyway, I was hoping that it was forgotten, out of mind out of sight type thing. Well, driving home tonight from Salt Lake tonight Kember proceeds to describe what the lady was wearing, what she was doing, what the other lady looked like and all sorts of stuff. Okay...this was definitely not one of my finer moments today letting her see that. Dan turns to me and says, "We are definitely not getting cable!" Well, at least we are agreed on that. Lets hope these moments are few and far between, and when they do happen I'll have inspiration and make it a great teaching moment.

8 comments:

worth reading said...

Jeff and I do the same thing when we go back home (we don't have cable) and I'm seriously just fascinated with all the crude reality and make'over shows (by-the-way, what ever happen to "The Learning Channel" ?) I'm always amazed at how crude television is ... even the shows I used to watch when I was little. like gummy bears ... GUMMY BEARS who would of thought gummy bears would be inappropriate? I let Seth watch an episode ... but grumpy was calling grammy an old hag, and grammy was calling grumpy stupid, moron,hitting him with a frying pan, etc -- and the trolls hitting each other with clubs. Who thought that was a good premise for a children show? why did I watch it?-- sorry tangent, but television gets me so frustrated!

NicKim Family said...

Seriously, DITTO!! To both you and Rachael! Nick & I have have cable because in order to get the "deal" on the internet we have we had to get tv cable. We have never hooked it up!!! The reasons are all of the reasons you and Rachael stated. We are much better off with out it, and I really think Lucy is much better off without it too. Granted we probably let her watch too many movies, but at least I know what it is that she'll be watching and I don't have to deal with all the "gimmies" that commercials create too.

Andrea said...

It was very fun hanging out with you the past few days. Hope you stop by on your way back home.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Yes, they are so impressionable at these young ages. I hate T.V. Its rare when I use the word hate and truly mean it, but in this case I do.

Kate Clayton said...

Don't feel too bad. You are an amazing mom. We really miss you guys! I hope things are going well for Dan at his new job. How is the new house?

michelle said...

We don't have cable either, just the channels that come through the antennae. I remember when we were visiting at someone's house my kids loved watching Animal Planet and Collin loved the Discovery Channel. I was usually flipping it to the Hallmark Channel:)

Ma & Pa J. said...

I am sure thankful that you are so careful about what you expose your children to. You are such great parents!

The Bott Family said...

I am so glad Kaycee is not the only one. We don't watch television with her anymore and the cartoons are also questionable. It is difficult to answer so we go with the easy way out "because she/he is a bad person and they should get into BAD trouble for that, huh? That is very bad" Hopefully it works! However, she still brings those moments up weeks later and will say "remember on that show...she/he was a bad person huh" Good luck!!