Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Puppies and Prayers

The kids and I were talking at lunch. Apparently they are still on the death kick, and one question led to another and Kember asked me when Jesus was coming. I told her that no one knew when he was going to come, and she said, "I do!"
me -"Really? When is he coming?"
kember -"At the end."
Well, yes, yes, that's true. He is going to come at the end.
Then we got talking about prayers. I was trying to explain to them that Heavenly Father will always answer our prayers, even if the answer is no. I didn't explain this very well. I used this example. "So if you pray for Heavenly Father to let you have a puppy, and you don't get one, this isn't because Heavenly Father didn't answer your prayer, it's because He knows they best possible thing to make you happy." (Okay, and reading this no wonder I get a blank look from my kids a lot) and Kember says, "We get puppies from the pet store." Okay, bad example. That's the last time I try to explain prayers with puppies.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, sometimes (OK, most of the time) my explanations about things get me the blank stare too. Probably why most of the time I just answer with a simple "I don't know." Not the best answer, but certainly the easiest. :)

Kate Clayton said...

That Kember is one smart cookie!

Ma & Pa J. said...

Which is exactly the reason the boys never thought I talked to them about the birds and the bees. I did....they just didn't know what the heck I was talking about?

Andrea said...

Haha. We all do it. Hm . . . this happened to me today or yesterday, but now I can't remember what I was trying to explain.

michelle said...

and I thought for sure that Dan's prayers were going to be answered with this title:)

Loni said...

So funny and I thought you were going to say that you get puppies if mommy wants them.

Anonymous said...

It's the fact that you tried to teach a principle that counts.....even though it backfired.